Requests to alter or extend your AIHA home

If you are thinking about the possibility of making alterations to your AIHA home, please be sure to talk to us first.

 This requirement applies to all alterations whether electrical, extensions, removal of walls or changes to your kitchen or bathroom. This list is not exhaustive so, if in doubt, please contact us. If a change is approved, a damage deposit will be held until all necessary certificates and inspections have been satisfactorily completed.  

Prior consent may also be required before commencing certain works from the local council’s Planning Department and evidence of their subsequent sign off after completion will be required by AIHA. All alterations will need to be carried out by appropriately qualified tradespeople; for example, any electrical work must be performed by an NICEIC /ECA or similar qualified electrician approved by AIHA.

AIHA will seek to accommodate your needs and will try to grant permission whenever possible, subject to statutory and safety considerations. Please remember that any work undertaken without AIHA’s permission will constitute a breach of your tenancy.

Related articles

Maintenance tools

Looking after your home

Reporting a repair; Reporting an emergency repair out of office hours.

See more
A key in a keyhole in a door

Housing Options with AIHA

Find out more about joining AIHA’s Housing Waiting List.

See more
A person using a calculator

Paying your rent

Find out how you can pay your rent and information on Housing Benefit and Universal Credit.

See more